59AB Block - Cracks

jimd

Junior Member
Gents, needing some input regarding engine block cracks on 59ab block being offered for sale. I am no expert but looking for inputs from those that are knowledgeable in this area. What are your thoughts on these pictures? Usable or not?



Thanks in advance


BR


JimD
 

Attachments

  • 59ab_block_1.jpg
    59ab_block_1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 580
  • 59ab_block_2.jpg
    59ab_block_2.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 563
  • 59ab_block_3.jpg
    59ab_block_3.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 552
Gents, needing some input regarding engine block cracks on 59ab block being offered for sale. I am no expert but looking for inputs from those that are knowledgeable in this area. What are your thoughts on these pictures? Usable or not?
Thanks in advance
BR
JimD
480934


480935


480936
 
Walk. Appears to have frozen at some time. Deck cracks are nothing to be concerned with. The others. Not worth effort or putting good $$$ into a block like that is my opinion. Cheers
Tony.
 
That hunk won't pass any pressure test as is. Many thousands of dollars may get you there. And for that reason you should pass it by, as Tony suggests.

You don't reside in a 'flathead desert.'

An actual usable example (THIS IS NOT ONE) will come your way even if you are desperate.
 
I would like to see more of that area inside front of valley before rejecting. I agree a pressure test could be done before a final decision. Looks like it has been dropped or "banged into" at that front pump area.
 
That block doesn't scare me upon initial look. I'd want to know more about the front crack in the water-pump area. With a little bit of work, I'm sure the front area could be pinned and the crack could be stopped from progressing - as JWL said, it was probably dropped or hit on the front (has nothing to do with freezing). If the crack doesn't go into the side of the block, then once fixed the water pump should seal - no big deal.

I don't see any freeze related cracks and the lifter bore appears to have a chip out of it (not an issue). I'd have it pressure tested and then make a decision.

Also, you might let us know how much $$$ they're asking for it - that could influence my decision making process.
 
Gents, needing some input regarding engine block cracks on 59ab block being offered for sale. I am no expert but looking for inputs from those that are knowledgeable in this area. What are your thoughts on these pictures? Usable


Thanks in advance


BR


JimD

Hi jimd; A pressure test will show existing problems but won't show weak spots that haven't cracked yet. Good luck, Craig.
 
Gents, thank you for all of the responses. I will pass on this one. The interest was largely due that it was so close to home and had been magna tested. I have purchased/been given many a boat anchor on past projects.



I will be needing a rebuild on a 59A that I have in a 31 5W but need to complete assembly on 49 F1 8BA that has just completed paint.



The seller was asking 600 or OBO for the 59AB in question. A high asking price but did not get into the OBO conversation.


Again, much appreciated. Happy and safe and hopefully improved 2022!
 
Back
Top